SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
April 5, 2006
- Call to order
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents—Aurora Villon, Lourdes Baeza, Esperanza Angelo, Marina Caballero, Andy Castanon, Antoinette Paez, Judith Rojas, Esther Mejia Students— Stephanie Mendez and Pedro Rodriguez Classified Staff— Certificated Staff—James Halley, Carol Stella, and Charlene Brown Administration—Julie Ellis and Priscilla Linares ELAC—
- Members who sent regrets: ELAC—Students—Sean Acuna and Ginesse Carrillo, Classified Staff—Tony Hernandez Certificated Staff—
- Visitors in attendance: David Angelo and Greg Smith
4. Minutes approved for March with changes
5. Student Reports—
a. The Sadie Hawkins Dance was successful and ASB sold 200 tickets
b. Mother/Daughter Dessert will be held May 9th. Scheduled to perform are the Mariachi Divas
c. Student Elections will be held May 3rd
d. May 5th will be the Cinco de Mayo Carnival
- DAC – Esther Mejia
- The topic of school food was discussed. The suggestion was to return to the school sites for feedback as to how to improve the food.
- ERHS School Site Council suggested taking a survey of the students at the high school to generate data to take back to the district. Julie Ellis and Priscilla Linares will generate and distribute a survey to represent all student groups. Results will be discussed at the May 2006 SSC meeting
- Special Ed – Nothing to report
- Title 1—Nothing to report
- GATE—Nothing to report
- Administration -
- Julie Ellis provided information regarding the student walk-out on March 25, 2006. She distributed the letter she sent to all the high school parents. as well as the letter of apology written by the student who put the Mexican flag on top of the American flag in front of Montebello high school.
- Teaching American History Grant (TAH) – Greg Smith
- Mr. Smith made a presentation to School Site Council on the TAH grant awarded to El Rancho Unified School District. This is a joint award shared with the Pasadena School District. The grant focuses on professional for Social Studies teachers at the elementary, middle and high school levels.
- The presentation included a short mini lesson to show what the teachers are doing on their professional development days, as well as a detailed explanation of the 3 year grant.
- Public Comment
- The next meeting will be Wednesday, May 3, 2006.
- Items for the May agenda include student survey results
- Priscilla Linares will also provide an update on the graduation status of 12th grade students and the CAHSEE exam.
- Priscilla Linares will bring a copy of the School Plan for all members.
- Meeting adjourned at 6:43p.m.