SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
May 3, 2006
- Call to order
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents—Aurora Villon, Esperanza Angelo, Andy Castanon, Antoinette Paez, Judith Rojas, Esther Mejia Students— Sean Acuna Classified Staff— Certificated Staff—James Halley and Charlene Brown Administration—Priscilla Linares ELAC—
- Members who sent regrets: ELAC—Students—Ginesse Carrillo, Stephanie Mendez, and Pedro Rodriguez Classified Staff—Tony Hernandez Certificated Staff— Carol Stella
4. Minutes approved for April
5. Student Reports—
a. Cinco De Mayo Carnival took place on May 5th
b. Mother/Daughter Dessert took place on May 9th and was very successful
c. Track and Field were undefeated League Champions
d. Elections for the 06-07 school year took place on May 3rd. Result will be available on May 4th
- DAC – nothing to report
- Special Ed
- Priscilla Linares reviewed a letter released from Superintendent O’Connell regarding Senate Bill 517. This Bill will permit Special Education students to receive their High School diploma if they had met all graduation requirements except for the CAHSEE.
- Title 1
- The Language! Program is designed to help students who read far below grade level. El Rancho High School schedules 9th grade students who score below a 324 on the CST in English Language Arts the previous school year.
- In the 10th grade, the same group of students will continue the Language! Program or move into 10th grade English Pre-CP. Teachers and administration is looking at the possibility of eliminating Language! at the 10th grade and moving all the students into 10th grade Pre-CP English.
- GATE—Nothing to report
- Administration -
- Julie Ellis provided information regarding the student walk-out on March 25, 2006. She distributed the letter she sent to all the high school parents. as well as the letter of apology written by the student who put the Mexican flag on top of the American flag in front of Montebello high school.
- Public Comment
- Ms. Paez was concerned about all the publicity given to El Rancho High School due to the American Flag issue. She mentioned that other local school districts had provided links to El Rancho on their websites. She suggested that providing extra security at school events, particularly football games, might be a good idea.
- Agenda—next meeting will be Wednesday, September 6, 2006.
- SSC will look into the development of a Parent Involvement Policy at El Rancho High School
- Set earlier deadlines for the School Plan
- SSC Elections for the 2006-2007 school year
- Review Bylaws
- Meeting adjourned at 6:36 p.m.