SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
September 6, 2006
- Call to order
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was not confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents—Aurora Villon, Andy Castanon, and Antoinette Paez, Students— Andrew Palacios Classified Staff— Certificated Staff—James Halley, Carol Stella and Charlene Brown Administration—Priscilla Linares ELAC—
- Members who sent regrets: Parents – Esperanza Angelo, Lourdes Baeza, Judith Rojas and Esther Mejia ELAC—Students—Classified Staff—Tony Hernandez Certificated Staff—
- Visitors – David Angelo
4. Minutes approved for May 2006
5. Student Reports—
a. Andrew Palacios – new Senior Class President. The first Senior class meeting is scheduled for September 7, 2006. Topics will include the Welcome Back Assembly and The Nigh Pep Rally.
- DAC – nothing to report
- Special Ed
- Carol Stella reported that there are many new Special Education Teachers, and that we are in the process of hiring a new Special Education counselor. The atmosphere on campus is positive and the teachers are excited about the new school year
- Title 1
- The Language! Program will continue for the 2006-2007 school year. 9th grade students scoring 324 and below on the CST in Language Arts will be scheduled into the program. There are approximately 100 9th grade students enrolled in the Language! Program.
- The 9th grade teams have gotten off to a great start. More 9th grade students met the necessary criteria to take the class than ever before.
- Administration -
- Freshman First Day took place on August 30th. El Rancho High School freshmen started school a day early and had the opportunity to participate in their first high school pep rally, meet their teachers, and sign up to participate in sports or clubs. The day was a great success and approximately 750 9th grade students participate in Freshman First Day.
- Priscilla Linares reviewed the 2006 California Standardized Test Score results with school site council. Data was presented for all areas tested. Data was reviewed in comparison to previous years for all areas tested. Data was also compared to state results.
- El Rancho High School’s 2006 API is 676. We did not meet the necessary 679 in order to make our API. However, El Rancho did make the federal AYP meeting all four criteria including participation, percent proficient, growth of at least one point on API, and graduation rate.
- Separate or Action items
- Priscilla Linares distributed information regarding the Parent Involvement Policy that must be included with El Rancho High School’s School Plan for Student Achievement. Members agreed to take the information home and review. SSC will discuss a plan for developing a Parent Involvement Policy at the October 2006 meeting.
- Priscilla Linares also presented information about the Hispanic Outreach Taskforce (HOT) 7th Annual Parent Ed Conference on October 14, 2006. Parents agreed to contact Priscilla Linares if they were able to attend.
- 2006 Elections – There are two seats on SSC open. The announcement will be made at Back to School Night on September 13, 2006. Parents may submit their names form September 13 – 22nd by calling or emailing their names to the curriculum secretary, Martha Salas. Voting will take place at Parent Conference Night October 11, 2006.
- Public Comment
- Teacher, Charlene Brown, announced that her club, Model UN is fundraising by collecting old cell phones and ink cartridges.
- Agenda—next meeting will be Wednesday, October 4, 2006.
- Develop an action plan from the student surveys regarding school lunches.
- Begin working on the Parent Involvement Policy
- A report on how the new student I.D’s are working.
- Meeting adjourned at 6:50 p.m.