SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
March 7, 2007
- Call to order at 5:05pm
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents— Esperanza Angelo, Esther Mejia, Manuel Mejia, Frank Moreno, Antoinette Paez and Aurora Villon Students— Andrew Palacios and Genesse Carrillo Classified Staff— Certificated Staff—Charlene Brown and James Halley Administration—Priscilla Linares ELAC—
- Members who sent regrets: Parents –Lourdes Baeza and Andy Castanon ELAC—Students- Justine Medina and Maleny Carrasco —Classified Staff—Tony Hernandez Certificated Staff—Carol Stella
- Visitors – David Angelo, Martin Martinez, Pete J. Ortiz, and Angela Aguillon
4. Minutes approved for February
5. Student Reports—
a. The El Rancho Decathlon Team ranked 6th overall and earned 2nd place in the Super Quiz portion of the competition.
b. Teen Read Week is taking place this week and students had the opportunity to win free books at lunch. Borders Bookstore will be here Wednesday thru Friday.
c. Winter Sports Dessert alos took place and over 100 athletes were honored at this event.
d. The El Rancho Relays will take place on March 10th.
e. The end of the trimester will be Friday, March 16th.
- DAC – Esther Mejia
- DAC provided a Literacy workshop for parents in English and Spanish that included activities to support literacy in the home. Parents also received a homework dictionary which helps parents to assist their child with his/her homework.
- Special Ed – Nothing to report
- Title 1 – Nothing to report
- GATE – Nothing to report
- Administration - Priscilla Linares
- The California High School Exit Exam will be given March 20th and 21st. this will be the first opportunity for 10th graders to take the exam. This will also be the 2nd opportunity for 11th graders and the final time for 12th graders to take the exam. Our AYP is determined based on the results of the CAHSEE for 10th graders.
- SAT Prep class – GATE funds can be used, however, the percentage of of GATE funds must match GATE student participation in the prep class.
- Separate or Action items
- School Plan for 2006-2007 was approved by the School Site Council
- Public Comment
- Mrs. Villon expressed concern regarding the safety of students on campus in areas where there is no supervision. She encouraged El Rancho High School’s administration to revisit the open campus during lunch. She also suggested that administration meet with the teachers to get their sense of what is happening on campus.
- Mrs. Brown added that while she also had some concerns, the benefit to an open campus during lunch is that students can see teachers for tutoring during lunch.
- Mrs. Paez thought it was important for administration to look into the safety concerns now, before any major incidents occur.
- Mr. Moreno added that if more supervision was needed, perhaps parent volunteers could be brought on to assist.
- Mr. Halley also expressed the need for a “hotline” phone number that administration could guarantee would be answered by a live person instead of going straight to voicemail if the line was busy or if the secretary was out.
- The School Site Council voted to add a meeting in April in order to address the safety concerns brought up at this meeting. SSC has asked that Ms. Ellis and Mr. Collings attend this meeting. SSC would like administration to revisit the open campus during lunch and to meet with teachers to get feedback about their perception of school safety.
- Agenda—next regular meeting will be Wednesday, May 2, 2007.
- AP test waivers
- CAHSEE results
- Parent surveys
- Meeting adjourned at 6:45 p.m.