SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
September 4, 2007
- Call to order at 5:09pm
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents— Esperanza Angelo, Esther Mejia, Antoinette Paez and Aurora Villon Students— Kayla Herrera and Chelsi Serna Classified Staff— Certificated Staff— James Halley Administration—Sam Genis and Priscilla Linares ELAC— Teresa Navarro
- Members who sent regrets: Parents –Manuel Mejia and Andy Castanon ELAC—Students- Classified Staff—Certificated Staff—Carol Stella and Charlene Brown Administration
- Parent Visitors –Alfredo Martinez
- Teacher Visitors – Martin Martinez
4. Minutes approved for May 2007 with changes
5. Student Reports— Kayla Herrera
a. Students are planning elections for a Sophomore President and Assemblies Commissioner
b. Students are also preparing for the canned food drive
- DAC – Esther Mejia
a. In June, DAC members were asked to provide feedback on how they thought categorical monies should be spent. The results of that survey will be discussed at the first DAC meeting of the school year.
- Special Ed – Nothing to report
- Title 1 –
- Language! classes are under way using 3rd edition materials. All Language! teachers were trained this past summer with the 3rd edition materials.
- GATE –
- AP Psychology is currently being offered. We have 1 section and a total of 40 students taking the class during 3rd period.
- Administration -
- Sam Genis reported some of the new changes on our campus. We added two new ROP classes: computer careers and careers in education. Mr. Genis expressed the interest in adding more ROP courses throughout the year. Ms. Villon inquired about adding an auto class. Mr. Genis has spoken with Tony Mendez from ROP about the possibility of working together to fund a new auto class. A conversation about auto tech in schools ensued.
- We have opened a new computer lab to offer more sections of digital arts in Q-2.
- Mr. Genis spoke about school safety. More Student Security Officers have been hired for a total of 9 throughout the day. One is always stationed at the back of the campus. We have also limited our points of entry.
- Mr. Genis also went over the new tardy policy which includes Saturday School and Truancy Violations for not attending Saturday School.
- Mr. Genis said that El Rancho has really enforced the new district policy of no cell phones, no IPods. He is proud of how good our students are abiding by that rule.
- The Parent Institute for Quality Education will began classes for El Rancho parents on September 19th. Mr. Genis also passed out information on the Hispanic Outreach Taskforce conference for parents taking place in Whittier.
- Ms. Linares shared information on Back to School Night taking place on September 12th. Parents will still have the opportunity to visit their student’s classes, but the evening will end with workshops for parents dealing with topics specific to their son/daughter’s academic needs.
- Ms. Linares presented data on API and AYP
- Separate or Action items
- Ms. Villon asked that we try to get some classified representation on School Site Council. She would also like to see someone from the guidance office attend the meetings.
- There was a motion to nominate an alternate to fill the remaining term of Mr. Moreno left open for 1 year.
- Members of SSC spoke about working with the Pico Rivera library and the City of Commerce on providing SAT prep for our students.
- Mr. Genis reviewed the fence issue and the one-time discretionary monies. Ms. Villon said that even though the fence was not specifically put on the expenditure plan for the SPSA, it was discussed and monies for the fence were approved by the School Site Council.
- Public Comment
- Ms. Villon asked why the vending machines on campus charge so much for their drinks; $1.25. She would like to know who is making the profit and if we could get them to charge less for the drinks. Mr. Genis said he would speak to Mr. Ayala regarding this issue.
- Ms. Paez would like to make sure we have some representation from Special Ed at school Site Council meetings.
- Agenda—next meeting will be Wednesday, October 3, 2007.
- Vending Machines & drink prices
- Nominate an alternate to fill the remaining term left open by Mr. Moreno
- Meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m.