SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
October 3, 2007
- Call to order at 5:07 pm
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents— Esperanza Angelo, Andy Castanon, Esther Mejia, Antoinette Paez and Students— Ariet Angeles Classified Staff— Certificated Staff— Charlene Brown and James Halley Administration—Sam Genis and Chuck Collings ELAC— Teresa Navarro
- Members who sent regrets: Parents –Manuel Mejia and Aurora Villon Certificated Staff—Carol Stella Administration- Priscilla Linares
- Parent Visitors –Alfredo Martinez and David Angelo
- Teacher Visitors – Martin Martinez
4. Minutes approved for September 2007
5. Student Reports— Ariet Angeles
a. Students are preparing for Home coming week particularly Blue Pride Day to take place October 30th and the Night Pep Rally to take place on November 1st. A discussion about the new time for the Night Pep Rally and the reason for the change
b. Announcement was made regarding the PSAT on October 17th
- DAC – Nothing to report
- Special Ed – Nothing to report
- Title 1 –
- Very little money available due to government cuts in Title I funding.
- GATE –
- Report next meeting from Mrs. Linares
- Administration - Sam Genis
- 400-500 parents attended the Back to School Workshops
- The Parent Institute (PIQE) continues at El Rancho High School. Approximately 60-65 parents are attending the morning Spanish sessions and approximately 100 parents attending the evening session bringing the total parent participation to approximately 160.
- Over 1000 people attended college night on September 26.
- Parent Conference Night will take place on October 10th.
- El Rancho is working with LACOE to put together a Science camp for students taking AP Biology. The total cost for student will be $35.00. the trip will take place December 17-December 20 at Blue Sky Meadows Science Institute near Big Bear.
- Separate or Action items
- Mr. Collings
- The Assistant Principal of Guidance, Chuck Collings, reported that doubling the number of Student Security Officers has made a tremendous difference in campus safety.
- Mr. Collings also reported that the Student Peace Officer has changed locations and will now be stationed at the entrance to the main office.
- Mr. Collings reported that the drop off & pick up procedures have been changed. The main gate remains closed and parents are asked to pull all the way forward to let their student in through the A/Library gate.
- Mr. Collings reported that all staff parking has been changed specifically the main office parking. This change was implemented in order to create more handicap parking and more visitors parking.
- The campus now has four main point of entry. A conversation ensued about less traffic
- Suspensions and expulsions are down considerably and students are behaving remarkably well due to the absence of cell phones and IPods
- Bathrooms at the back of the campus should open soon.
- Mr. Collings explained that parents are no longer invited to the Night Pep Rally due only to capacity. Ms. Mejia suggested that El Rancho do some sort of activity where parents can be involved. A conversation ensued.
- Mr. Angelo suggested that we check the lighting in the North parking lot.
- Ms. Mejia asked if the school lunch menu can be placed on the website.
- Mrs. Angelo asked whether there was a drug problem on campus. A conversation ensued. Mr. Collings stated that incidents regarding drugs have decreased.
- Members agreed to table agenda items 6a pertaining to elections and 6b pertaining to vending machines until the November meeting.
- Ms. Mejia requested a report of El Rancho’s disaster preparedness plan.
- WASC update – the WASC chairperson, Ms. Douty, will be on campus December 3rd for the initial visit. She will meet with focus group leaders, visit classrooms.
- Public Comment
- A suggestion was made regarding adding canopies and benches for students.
- Ms. Mejia asked about the number of assemblies. A conversation ensued. There was also talk about videotaping the Night Pep Rally.
- Ms. Mejia asked about literacy. She asked if we did anything besides Teen Read week to promote and encourage literacy. A conversation ensued.
- Ms. Mejia asked if the Pledge of Allegiance was being conducted in classrooms. A conversation ensued.
- Agenda—next meeting will be Wednesday, November 7, 2007.
- Vending machines/ Lunches
- Disaster Plan
- Meeting adjourned at 6:35 p.m.