Flag Salute Led by Bo Gillen
Call to order
Dr. Aurora Villon called to order the regular meeting at 5:04PM on 2/4/2009 in the school library. Dr. Villon welcomed everyone.
SSC quorum confirmed
SSC members in attendance:
Parents: David Angelo, Alfredo Martinez, Esther Mejia, and Dr. Aurora Villon
Student members: Bo Guillen and Steve Ramirez
Classified Staff: none
Certificated Staff: Frances Nguyen and Mary Chapman
Administration: Sam Genis
Members who sent regrets: James Halley, Esperanza Angelo, and Antoinette Paez
Visitors in attendance:
Pat Gomez/parent and Gabrielle De La Rosa/student
Approval of minutes from last meeting
School site council members individually read the December. 3rd meeting minutes. David Angelo motioned/ Steven Ramirez 2nd the minutes approved as presented. Motion carried and passed.
Student representative report- Bo Guillen reported the following:
Past January activities:
- Winter formal- was fun
- Blue Pride day- planted plants and cleaned up. Good turn out even though it rained.
- 80’s Sadie’s Hawkins dance
- “To the Depth of Forever” themed prom, to be held at the Huntington Beach Sea Cliff Club on May 2, 2009.
- ASB fundraiser-Selling bobble head “Don on a horse” figurine @$15 each.
- Second part of the Decathlon to be held this week.
DAC report- Dr. Villon was unable to attend the January 21st meeting due to a prior commitment. Esther Mejia reported on her behalf:
- Categorical Programs Monitoring (CPM)findings were shared by Ms. Ruth Baskett to the DAC members
- DAC Needs Assessment Survey Results
- Family Reading
- Success with Home (K-6)
- Parents Rights and Responsibilities
- DELAC Needs Assessment Survey Results
- Desarollo de Valores
- Examen de salida de la Escuela Secundaria (CAHSEE)
- Que Ningun Nino Se Queda Atras (NCLB)
- Parent involvement recommendations made by DAC members for the district LEA Plan addendum
- More afterschool workshops for parents
- Help parents get involved with the SSC at the site level
- Survey parents as to the time and convenience of the workshops
- More motivation for the parents to get involved
- District generated quarterly newsletter with key information from each school site to help increase parental awareness of school/district events and improve parent communication between district and parents
- Ms. Frances Nguyen reported that accommodations (calculators, CD and dictionaries) were given to the senior students that took the November CASHEE test. The CD accommodation was not available to students that took the January CASHEE test. Thirty seniors took the English test and fifteen seniors took the Math test. Results are due in May for the students that took the test in November.
- Dr. Villon requested additional testing data for the next school site council meeting.
EIA/SCE- Mr. Genis reported funds are frozen
Title I- Mr. Genis reported funds are frozen
GATE- Mr. Genis reported funds are frozen
Administration- Mr. Genis reported on the following
- a) Passed out “CPM Findings” handout to all members and visitors in attendance. The district must send the “Proposed Resolution of Findings”, by 2/24/09 to the California Department of Education (CDE). Ms. Villon requested that we table discussion of findings and make the “CPM findings” and agenda item for the March 5, 2009 SSC meeting. All present agreed.
- b) Attended the Principals meeting where the budget was discussed. Lay off letters will go out by 3/15/09. There is a district budget committee that will make recommendations to the school board in order to reduce 3.1million from the district budget. Among the proposed reductions are, class size reduction elimination or increasing the per student /teacher ratio and salary reductions. Recommendations from the committee will be made at the March ERUSD board meeting. A conversation ensued regarding the on the effect of stimulus package would have on “Education”.
- c) Shade structure in the works. Hopefully, the school can buy more tables to fill under the shade structure
- d) Gym update- should be completed sometime in March 2009
- e) New program announcement- “Prep Program” to begin in mid February2009, funded by 21st Century grant. The “Computer lab” to stay open until 6:30pm. Also extended “Homework Club”, “Scholars Inn” and possible dance classes to be offered. A student needs survey is to be sent out.
- f) Announced “Early College Academy “for thirty 10th graders. Rio Hondo College to present to the ERHS leadership team. Program to be implemented in “Master Schedule”. There is a possibility of students in program to earn 25 units college credit. Prerequisites for admission to the program to be made by Rio Hondo College. Program to begin next school year.
- g) Semester Schedule update- Mr. Genis disseminated schedule handouts. He shared that the top three choices would be revealed at tomorrow’s leadership meeting. Results of the new schedule selection should be available for the March SSC meeting. Mr. Genis also shared that once the schedule is selected he would like to have two “Town Hall” style parent meetings to share information and take questions on the newly selected schedule. Mr. Angelo expressed he would have liked to see those meetings occur before the selection of the schedule. Dr. Villon expressed she would have liked to have parents more involved in the actual “selection process”.
- h) Summer school- regular make up classes will be offered.
- i) M. Genis announced that Mr. Collins was selected by the district to be the new Principal at the adult school. His position at ERHS will not be filled for the remainder of the school year.
- Separate Action items:
- Literacy- tabled to March
- Career Connections- tabled to Mach.
- Esther Mejia- commented on receiving a letter from the “I am Going to College” program which stated to be eligible to receive the scholarship a Rio Hondo College assessment test would need to be taken and passed at above remedial level in order to remain qualified to receive the scholarship. Due to the economy the letter also stated the $1,000 per student scholarship might be reduced to a lower amount. Mr. Genis shared that there is only thirteen thousand dollars in the fund and that there are 150 kids on the program list.
- Ms. Pat Gomez shared a concern on behalf of herself and Rachel Conchola/parent of an incoming ERHS student. Both were concerned that incoming 9th grade parents would not have the opportunity to run for ERHS school site council open positions for the 09-10 school year. Dr. Villon told her that concern had been brought up before and that it had been addressed by adding an amendment to the ERHS SSC bylaws as recorded in the December 2008 SSC minutes. Dr. Villon reminded all in attendance that middle school parents would be notified of the May elections in a timely manner for them to add their name to the election ballots should they wish to seek to be elected to the ERHS SSC.
Agenda Forecast for March 4th meeting
- Semester Schedule
- Special Ed. CASHEE data
- CPM findings discussion
- Literacy (tabled since last school year)
- Career connections
- Mr. Martinez motioned/Mr. Genis 2nd a meeting adjournment. Dr. Villon adjourned the meeting at 6:20pm
Minutes submitted by: Esther Mejia/SSC Secretary
Minutes approved by: