Flag Salute – led by parliamentarian James Halley
Call to order
Dr. Aurora Villon called to order the regular meeting at 5:06PM on 10/07/2009 in the principal’s conference room.
SSC quorum was confirmed
SSC members in attendance:
Parents-David Angelo, Pat Gomez, Alfredo Martinez, Esther Mejia,
Sarita Mota and Dr. Aurora Villon.
Students- Elise Contreras, Leardra Dominguez, Bo Guillen and Taylor Torres.
Classified Staff- none.
Certificated Staff- James Halley, Martin Martinez, Mary Chapman and Frances Nguyen.
Administration- Sam Genis
Members who sent regrets: Antoinette Paez
Visitors in attendance: Angela Aguillon, Silvia Andres, Rachel Canchola, Gabby De La Rosa, Minerva Mongeotti, Fredia Rhodes, and Teresa Navarro.
Approval of minutes from last meeting
School site council members individually read the Sept 2nd meeting minutes. David Angelo with pleasure motioned/ James Halley 2nd the minutes be approved as read. Motion carried and passed.
Student representatives report- Elise Contreras, Leardra Dominguez Bo Guillen and Taylor Torres reported the following:
Recap of “Homecoming week” upcoming activities
- Monday – Class competition games during lunch
- Tuesday- Blue pride contest, all 2nd period classes. Winning class gets a donut party
- Wed.- Homecoming carnival- Team/Clubs food booths
- Thursday- Night pep rally @ 7pm
- Friday- Homecoming assembly, football game and dance
DAC report- Dr. Aurora Villon reported there was no Sept. meeting
Special Ed- No report
EIA/SCE- Mr. Genis reported no breakdown on funds yet since the budget is not finalized.
GATE- Mr. Genis reported funds swept to district general fund
Administration- Mr. Genis reported the following:
- Announced Dr. Ventura is new Assistant Principal of Curriculum. Mr. Elias Vargas is the new Assistant Principal of Guidance. Interviews will be finished by tomorrow for the open dean position and the final candidate for the position will go to the school board for approval at tomorrow’s board meeting.
- Our new API is 692! Increased by 13 points from last year’s score of 679. Hope to see another increase with the new schedule and tutorial that are in place this year.
- Disseminated “9th Annual Parent Education Conference” flyer. Conference to be held on 10/17/09 and is offered by” The Hispanic Outreach Taskforce” and Rio Hondo College. Transportation from ERSH to Rio Hondo College would be provided. Encouraged parents in attendance to sign up by contacting school office.
Separate Action items:
- Green Team Video– was viewed by school site council
- PLC’s (Professional Learning Communities)- informational handouts were disseminated. PLC’s were created based on teacher concerns and student needs. Groups meet once a month. About 40 to 50 teachers are currently involved.
- Jaime Escalante- feeder school breakdown handouts were disseminated
- SPSA- Mr. Genis and Dr. Ventura are attending have attended two training sessions. Goal is to get the SPSA ready to present to staff /school site council by Nov 7th and to school board by December.
- Naviance Presentation- a research based, web-based platform application was presented to the school site council. The following was covered during the presentation;
- · Course Planner – Design Multi-year course plans that keep students on track with graduation requirements, prerequisites, and college and career goals
· Career Planner – Link personality type & interests with both career clusters and individual careers
· College Planner – Track every step in the college process, research colleges, enrichment programs & scholarships
- · Method Test Prep for the ACT and SAT – Online course that helps students build their math, reading, writing and SAT/ACT test prep skills
- The cost for the Course, Career and College planner is $2.30 per student.
- Mr Genis will request a presentation for Mr. Ortiz and counselors for their review and will be discussed at next School Site Council meeting.
Public Comment- Ms. Aguillon commented that she did not think it was a good idea for students to go off campus during lunch. Mr. Genis replied that we have a closed campus and do not allow students to leave campus during lunch. Ms. Aguillon also commented she liked the Naviance presentation since parents and students need help with the college application process. She also felt it gave information/resources that sometimes students do not know how to ask for. Mr. Genis replied the school counselors would review the presentation to see if it would benefit the students.
- Naviance – discussion
- API Presentation by Dr. Ventura
- “SPSA update by Dr. Ventura
Next meeting will be held on November 4, 2009
Pat Gomez motioned/ Sam Genis 2nd a meeting adjournment.
Dr. Villon adjourned the meeting at 6:47pm.
Minutes submitted by: Esther Mejia/SSC Secretary
Minutes approved by: