Flag Salute – led by parliamentarian James Halley
Call to order
Dr. Aurora Villon called to order the regular meeting at 5:00 PM on 12/2/2009 in the school library.
SSC quorum was confirmed
SSC members in attendance:
Parents- David Angelo, Pat Gomez, Alfredo Martinez, Esther Mejia, Antoinette Paez,
Dr. Aurora Villon
Students- Elise Contreras, Leandra Dominguez, Bo Guillen, Taylor Torres
Classified Staff- none
Certificated Staff- James Halley, Mary Chapman, Juventino Gutierrez, Martin Martinez
Administration- Sam Genis
Members who sent regrets:
Visitors in attendance: Angela Aguillon, Barbara Contreras, Brissa De La Rosa, Anthony De La Rosa, Sarita Mota
Approval of minutes from last meeting
School site council members individually read the November 4th meeting minutes. Alfredo Martinez motioned/ Antoinette Paez 2nd the minutes be approved with a correction. Motion carried and passed.
Student representatives report- Elise Contreras, Leandra Dominguez, Bo Guillen, Taylor Torres reported the following:
- Winter sports coming up. Wishing our basketball team good luck.
- 12/9 Christmas tree decoration grade level competition. Decorated trees to be donated to family in need .
- 12/10 Powder Puff game (Juniors vs. Seniors)
- Canned food drive concluded on 11/20. A total of 5,500 lbs were collected. Goal of 10,000 not reached maybe due to the economic crisis.
DAC report- Dr. Aurora Villon reported the following;
- Elections were held
- Reviewed “Needs Assessment” results
- Decided to review bylaws on a regular basis
- Agenda items to be presented by members so that is a working committee
- Schools to send chairpersons to DAC meetings. Next meeting will be held in January 2010
Special Ed- Mr. Gutierrez shared his “Up Speed with Sped!” report and took questions from the school site council. A copy of his edifying report is attached to the minutes.
EIA/SCE- No report
GATE- No report
Administration- Mr. Genis reported the following:
- Academic team participated in a scrimmage with 7 other teams and placed 1st. Decathlon completion will be held on January 30th at ERHS. Super Quiz to be held on Feb 7th at USC.
- A committee is being put together to reclassify designated English learners to RFEP. Process to start in January. Committee will consist of Dr. Ventura, Mr. Pena and two teachers.
- LC classes to support English learners will start January
- Sophomore counseling is going well and was initiated much earlier in the school year. There was about 300+ participation on the last session held in the cafeteria. There will be an upcoming session on Dec. 10th. Some English classes made attending the counseling session part of their class assignment. EIA monies were used for sophomore counseling.
- Leadership team expanded to include” course” leads. Good comments were received from staff.
- Midyear budget cuts to be made in January. 6.5 million In reduction expected. Possible salary rollbacks. All three unions in discussions. Schools do the best they can with the limited resources.
Separate Action items:
- SPSA Approval-
- School site council to review SPSA (rvsd 12/2/09) individually and table for February meeting for further discussion and possibly amend living document as needed. Motioned by Alfredo Martinez, 2nd by James Halley. Motion carried and approved.
- School site council to approve SPSA (rvsd 12/2/09) as presented. Motioned by Dr. Aurora Villon 2nd by Mr. David Angelo. Motion carried and unanimously approved.
- Naviance- Tabled to February meeting
- Migrant Education Program “Science Institute “flyers and “Migrant Education Program Region 10” pamphlet was disseminated to all in attendance. A presentation will be requested to be scheduled for the March SSC meeting.
- Antoinette Paez commented that her daughter who is special needs has been a student in the district since preschool. She shared her daughter participated in a school play, choraleers, digital photography and is learning to play the sax. Ms. Paez wanted to thank the school for the notebook used by Ms. Maillette as a great communication tool.
Next meeting will be held on February 3, 2010
Antoinette Paez motioned/ Esther Mejia 2nd meeting adjournment.
Dr. Villon adjourned the meeting at 6:15pm.
Minutes submitted by: Esther Mejia/SSC Secretary
Minutes approved by: