Flag Salute – led by parliamentarian James Halley
Call to order
SSC Chairperson, David Angelo called to order the regular meeting at 5:06 PM in the school library.
SSC quorum was confirmed
SSC members in attendance
Parents- David Angelo, Pat Gomez, Alfredo Martinez, Esther Mejia, Sarita Mota (ELAC), Teresa Navarro and Dr. Aurora Villon
Students- Gabrielle De La Rosa, Amber Garcia, Emily Peyton, Arlene Rodriguez, and Edith Vazquez
Classified Staff- none
Certificated Staff- James Halley, Mary Chapman, and Juventino Gutierrez
Administration- Sam Genis
Visitors in attendance-Rachel Canchola, Graciela Ceja, Brissa De La Rosa, Martin
Martinez, Alfred Renteria Jr. and Teresa Villegas-Braun
Approval of minutes from last meeting
School site council members individually read the meeting minutes. James Haley motioned/ Juventino Rodriguez 2nd approval of the December 1st minutes.
The January 5th meeting minutes were motioned for approval by Arlene Rodriguez, Ms. Chapman 2nd approval.
- Student representatives report-
- Foreign exchange students from China are visiting El Rancho. ASB will be escorting them around school.
- Pride Day was held to beautify the campus. 375 student’s and about 20 staff participated.
- Academic Decathlon was held at El Rancho this past Saturday.
- Winter belle voting took place and Queen will be announced at Friday’s basketball game.
- The “Masquerade” themed winter formal will be held on 2/12 at Miles Square Country Club in Fountain Valley.
- DAC report- David Angelo reported DAC approved the second part of the Con. Ap. that is submitted to the CA department of education to receive categorical funding.
- DELAC report - No report
- Special Education- Mr. Gutierrez shared potluck went great.
- EIA SCE/ EIA LEP No report
- GATE- No report
- Administration- Mr. Genis reported
- China foreign exchange student visit was facilitated by a counselor at ELAC. Process involved a presentation to the ERUSD school board. It is a positive experience for the Chinese students as well our own students who appreciate their freedom. Pico Rivera residents and parents were hosts to the exchange students. Mr. Genis hopes someday we can send some of our students to visit China.
- Decathlon will continue on Saturday at USC. Decathletes will compete in the individual sections as well as the Super Quiz. Results should be known by next Wednesday. Ms. Lam and Ms. Oase are the team’s coaches. .
- Attendance- Truancy is down 40% from last year. Mr. Genis reminded that an un-cleared absence is considered truancy.
- Shuttle service will be provided by the city due to street closure on Passons. Mr. Elias will check with the Montebello bus lines and give out information to parents via Telaparent. Ms. Canchola shared that the more students that ride the bus more buses will be added to accommodate them.
- WASC will be here March 14th to 15th for a three year progress report. Met with chairperson and will present report next Monday. On Sunday the 13th WASC will meet with SSC parents.
Separate Action items
- a)WASC Information
- WASC visit is scheduled for March 13th, 14th and 15th. They will want to meet with parents on Sunday the 13th. Visiting committee members have a copy of the progress report and have met with our WASC chairperson before. If approved ERHS will get a three year accreditation. Mr. Genis disseminated a copy of the progress report to all the school site council members
- Mr. Genis shared that a monthly newsletter with important dates was distributed to students. A copy of the newsletter will post on the website.
- b) Parent Involvement Policy
- Tabled to March meeting.
- Dr. Aurora Villon shared parents have approached her with concerns that all the gates are locked except the front ones, making a drop off in the back impossible. Mr. Genis stated that having only the front gate as the only point of entry makes it a secure campus. The school is short handed to have the back gate open with someone monitoring it. He will relook at the situation and address it at the next school site council meeting.
- Esther Mejia invited everyone to participate in the Track & Field team “Fun Run 5K” fundraiser to be held on 2/26/11.
- Mr. Renteria commended Mr. Genis on giving the El Rancho SSC the SPSA to review in a timely manner and with special meetings dedicated to the review. He shared that at a ERUSD elementary school site that is not the case, they are given only hours to approve the SPSA. Mr. Renteria took the ERHS minutes to that elementary school site council so that they could see the process and time ERHS SSC takes when reviewing and approving the SPSA.
- Parent Involvement
- Montebello Bus line meeting information
- Naviance update
- Academic Decathlon update
- XI. Next SSC Meeting to be held on Wednesday March 2nd
Dr. Aurora Villon motioned/ Mr. Martinez seconded the meeting adjournment.
Chairperson David Angelo adjourned the meeting at 6:00 pm.
Minutes respectfully submitted by: Esther Mejia/SSC Secretary