Flag Salute – led by student representative, David Ramirez
Call to order
SSC Chairperson, Alfred Renteria called to order the regular meeting at 5:12 PM in the school library.
SSC quorum was confirmed by the school site secretary
SSC members in attendance
Parents- Teresa Navarro, Alfredo Martinez and Pat Gomez
Students- David Ramirez, Marisa Morales, Amber Hernandez and Jaelene Rodriguez
Classified Staff- none
Certificated Staff- Raul Elias, Freddy Larrache, and Mary Chapman
Administration- Sam Genis
Visitors in attendance- Rachel Canchola, Aurora Alcaraz
Regrets- Esther Mejia and Sarita Mota
IV. Approval of minutes from last meeting
School site council members individually read the November 2, 2011 meeting minutes. Item 7b changed from Sarita Mota reporting to Aurora Alcaraz reporting. Teresa Navarro motioned / Mr. Elias seconded approval of the meeting minutes with corrections.
- Information/Discussion Items
- Student representatives report-
Jaelene: “Mustachio men of Movember” staff involved didn’t shave for the entire month and were accepting donations to promote men’s health and prostate cancer awareness.
11/3 Parent conference night was from 5-7:50pm
11/4 Cross Country boys and girls went to league finals at Legg Lake
During the month of November there were representatives on campus from US Army, US Navy, Soka University, UCLA and Whittier College
David: The canned food drive was from 11/7-12/2. In total ERHS collected 4, 808.71 pounds of food. Sophomores: 1,527.07lb, Juniors: 1,358.50lbs, Seniors: 1.349.50 lbs, Freshmen: 573.64lbs.
Marisa: Sports: Fall sports seasons have ended and winter sports have begun. Boys soccer first game was against Downey HS on 11/30.
Amber: Upcoming Events:
12/14: Christmas Tree Decorating Contest at Lunch
Themes: Freshmen (winter wonderland), Sophomores ( a Charlie brown Christmas), Juniors (Dr. Seuss) and Seniors (Mardi Gras). Upon completion, the trees will be donated to families in need in the community.
12/15 Powder puff pep rally at lunch and the game at 7pm Don Stadium.
- DAC report-: Meeting held on November 16, 2011 at South Ranchito Elementary. Elections were held and a needs assessment was distributed. Will be returned in order to dictate what the district can do better to help schools.
- DELAC report : Aurora Alcaraz reported elections were held. In addition, Dora Delgado, Maria Huerta and Lorraine Jiminez gave a presentation from the Safe Schools Healthy Students grant on the anti-bullying program that will be ready to roll out July 1, 2012.
- Special Education: Mr. Larrache reported the LH students in the study skills class have begun a unit on community involvement and getting active with organizations. Examples are child poverty and children soldiers.
- EIA SCE/ EIA LEP: Nothing to report
- GATE- No report
- Administration- Mr. Genis
- Varsity boys and girls cross-country were league champions and coaches Mr. Wynn and Ms. Salway were awarded coaches of the year!
- The SWAT “Promoting the Ranch” has put together and organized the first ever ERHS Open House. It will take place on 2/16/12 from 5-8pm. There will be food trucks, academic presentations, activities and club information available. It is an opportunity for the school community as well as incoming 9th graders to view the school and what it has to offer. There has been collaboration with the middle schools. In addition they are tying to organize a middle school/high school shadow day where 8th graders were partnered with a link crew or ASB member for the day.
- ER Pride day will take place on Thursday January 19, 2011. Moved from its traditional Saturday in order to increase student and staff participation. The day is used to prepare for Academic Decathlon day 1 competition on 1/28/12
Separate Action items
- a) Approve Expenditures for EIA/SCE and Title 1- tabled to next meeting
- b) Update on Tardy Sweeps
- Mr. Elias gave the presentation to the Staff at ERHS a few weeks ago. The data is based on the accountability report released by the state. ERHS truancy rate has drastically reduced: ’06-’07 school year: 61.2% and last school year, ’10-’11 it was down to 10.63%. ERHS is now doing better than both the county and the state averages.
- Success of the program is being given to the administration and the teachers.
- The tardy issue is in the beginning stages of being addressed. They have found out that about 40% were due to lack of public transportation and 50% due to parents dropping off their students late. They are planning on implementing an attendance mediation forum in February.
- ERHS partnered with Montebello Bus Lines and has since seen a 16% increase in rider ship. The $30 monthly pass is too expensive for students. Students in the entrepreneur club approached city hall to ask for $52,000 dollars a year in order to sell bus passes to students for $15. This would cost the city $0.30 per ride. It was tabled by the city. The city decided to allow the club to hold twice monthly BINGO games at ERHS and waive the licensing fees as long as the proceeds were used for transportation and teen court.
- Mrs. Canchola asked if the attendance program had been filtered down to the middle schools. Mr. Genis response was that rewarding the efforts is a major motivating factor and he would like to see how much money the district has saved from the policy and perhaps see that put back into the school. Mrs. Canchola agreed and has been attempting to get the data from the district.
- Mr. Elias would like to ask for the support and endorsement of the entrepreneur club by School Site council. Mr. Genis motioned and Mr. Martinez seconded. All in favor and motioned carried.
- c) Distribute SPSA Draft/need special meeting
- Mr. Genis passed out the SPSA draft and asked members to read it and if corrections need to be made to email him. Special meeting of SSC on 1/10/12 to discuss/approve the SPSA
- Aurora Alcaraz reported on Mondays from 9-10am in A102 there are arts and crafts being offered by the parent leadership council. The felt appliqué project is wrapping up next Monday and then they will be working on cookie decorating and a marshmallow treat. Finally, pronunciation classes are going to continue in January.
- 8th to 9th grade enrollment data
- Expenditures for Title 1.
- IX. Next SSC Meeting to be held on Wednesday February 1, 2012
David Ramirez motioned/ Mr. Martinez seconded the meeting adjournment.
Chairperson Alfred Renteria adjourned the meeting at 6:20pm.
Minutes respectfully submitted by: Mary Chapman/SSC Secretary