SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
December 3, 2003
- Call to order—5:10 pm
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents—Aurora Villon,
Nellie Aguilar, Roy Arroyo, Leticia Fonseca Students: Veronica
Arroyo Classified Staff—Vivian Martinez Certificated Staff—James
Halley, Dawn Hughey, Manuel Cruz, Marla Diaz, Charles Collings Administration—Felicity Swerdlow,
- Members who sent regrets: Parents—Ron Beilke,
Dora Cabrera, Frank Moreno, Anthony Soltero, Irma Castillo, Sarah Lopez Students—Brandon
Longoria, Maribel De Anda,
Steven Villegas Classified Staff—Vivian Martinez Certificated
Staff—Carol Stella, Paulina Vega
- Visitors in attendance: Esther Mejia,
Alma Carr, Lucy M. Rios
4. Minutes were approved
- Student Reports
- On December 10th at 7
p.m. will be the annual Christmas Show
- On December 11th will
be the annual Powder Puff Game and Pep Rally
must pass eligibility requirements (2.0 GPA, athletic clearance, etc.)
- Students tripled the amount of canned
food collected for the Canned Food Drive over last year.
- Elections were held.
- Special Ed.
- Mrs. Stella is back and doing well.
- Trip to Cerritos College went well. Another
trip is planned for Rio Hondo College.
- College Night exclusively for Special
Ed. Will take place in early February.
- Eight students have now found employment
through Claudia Garcia.
- Title 1
- Nothing to report
- Still have no budget.
- ERHS has applied for the AP Challenge
Ellis and Mrs. Swerdlow shared the following information:
is no longer in “School Improvement,” but still has access to funds allocated
for school improvement.
briefly the different grants and other funds being coordinated to continue
improvement of instructional practices and student achievement
projects teachers are involved in:
of curriculum to state standards
team of nine teachers are currently working on the curriculum, research,
and implementation for an advisement period for next year.
v. Mrs. Swerdlow discussed
the importance of AP classes being listed on their transcripts (Universities
would rather see that than transcripts with straight A’s in regular classes.).
High School Exit Exam will be given February 3rd and 4th. A
make-up test will be offered in May. Every student beginning with the class
of 2006 must take and pass this exam in order to receive a high school diploma. This
test is given only in the English language.
Ellis and Mrs. Swerdlow will be going to San Diego
to receive the Golden Bell Award.
- Action/Other Items
- Single Plan for Student Achievement is delayed until next month.
- The first half of the information regarding the governance of School
Site Council as set forth by the state were reviewed and discussed. The
other half will be reviewed at the next meeting. This discussion took
place as a precursor to establishing and implementing bylaws for the
- A request was made to place the issues of the elevators and the dress
code on the agenda for next meeting.
- Scholarship Fundraising—Mr. Arroyo discussed ideas for School Site
Council to raise money for scholarships. Turn-around trips were discussed
as a possibility as they have a large return. Mrs. Swerdlow suggested that a subcommittee be formed. This
committee will include Mr. Arroyo, Mr. Cruz, and Mrs. Carr.
- Parent Project—Waiting on funding to start
- Content Standards video—shelved
- Public Comments
- Nothing to report.
- Next meeting will take place on January 7, 2004 from 5 pm to 6:45 pm.
- Next Agenda was discussed.
- Meeting adjourned at 7 p.m.