SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
January 7, 2004
- Call to order—5:13 pm
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents—Ron Beilke,
Frank Moreno, Nellie Aguilar, Roy Arroyo, Leticia Fonseca Students: Veronica
Arroyo, Brandon Longoria, Maribel De Anda, Steven Villegas Certificated
Staff—James Halley, Dawn Hughey, Carol Stella,
Manuel Cruz, Marla Diaz, Administration—Felicity Swerdlow
- Members who sent regrets: Parents—Dora
Cabrera, Anthony Soltero, Aurora Villon, Irma Castillo, Sarah Lopez Classified Staff—Vivian
Martinez Certificated Staff—Charles Collings, Paulina Vega
- Visitors in attendance: Emelda Hernandez,
Linda Gonzalez, Adrian Ayala
4. Minutes were approved
- Student Reports
- Senior team won Powder Puff
- El Rancho has had problems with students’
littering at lunch. As we have lost custodial staff due to budget cuts,
the service of picking up trash in the quad after lunch will no longer
be done. Therefore, it has been suggested that some of the students
in clubs circulate the quad during lunch and ask students to clean up
- Winter Formal will be held in February.
- There was no meeting in December.
- Special Ed.
- College night is set for February
- Title 1
- ERHS was awarded the Golden Bell
Award from CSBA for its literacy intervention program.
- Still have no budget.
- There is no money for the AP Challenge
Day is on February 12th—no school for students
High School Exit Exam will be given to all sophomores on February 3rd and
Aid Night is this evening in the ERHS cafeteria.
- Action/Other Items
- Elevators are operational. These are for the use of individuals with
special needs who are provided an escort from the administrative office
while using the elevators.
- A date needs to be set for the Scholarship Fundraising. Advertising
will be district-wide. It is to be an “adult” fundraiser (a turn-around
trip to Laughlin or Las Vegas via bus). The bus will hold up to 52 people. Frank
Moreno will make the tickets. Tentative dates for this fundraiser are
April 3rd or 17th.
- Assistant Principal of Guidance, Mr. Ayala, spoke to the council about
the Dress Code. ERHS follows a set of guidelines that are Board approved. one of
these guidelines is that boys’ pants should be within three sizes of
their natural waistlines. However, the issue of girls dressing in clothing
that is too revealing continues to be a problem because it places male
staff members in a perilous position if they try to enforce guidelines. They
open themselves to accusations of perversion for noticing that the girls
are dressed in a revealing manner. The Guidance Office, including Mr.
Ayala and the other deans, are currently attempting to find ways to enforce
the dress code in the most productive manner.
- The Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) for 2003-2004 was presented
by Felicity Swerdlow. As chairperson of the
School Site Council, Frank Moreno will sign the document as official
approval from this committee.
- Public Comments
- Nothing to report.
- Next meeting will take place on February 3, 2004 from 5 pm to 6:45 pm.
- Next Agenda was discussed.
- Meeting adjourned at 7 p.m.