SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING
March 3, 2004
- Call to order—5:14 pm
- Flag Salute
- A quorum was confirmed.
- Members in attendance were: Parents— Dora Cabrera, Frank Moreno,
and Aurora Villon Students—Veronica
Arroyo, Maribel De Anda Classified
Staff—, Certificated Staff—James Halley, Dawn Hughey,
Manuel Cruz, Charles Collings, Administration—Felicity Swerdlow, ELAC—Fernando Camarena
- Members who sent regrets: Parents—Ron Beilke,
Anthony Soltero, Nellie Aguilar, Roy Arroyo, Emelda Hernandez Students—Brandon
Longoria, Steven Villegas Classified Staff—Vivian Martinez Certificated
Staff—Carol Stella, Marla Diaz, Paulina Vega
- Visitors in attendance: Alma Carr,
Andy who came because he needed a ride
- Minutes were approved with the following
- Students sent regrets to the February
meeting, which was omitted in the February minutes.
- Vivian Martinez was indeed present
and appreciated at the February meeting; she should not have been listed
as both in attendance and as sent regrets.
- Ditto for Paulina Vega.
- The Whittier monthly council meeting
is comprised of officials from the city, the schools, and the community. It
does not include parents unless they are members of one of these other
- It was clarified that the ERHS band
will be going to Washington D.C. in 2005, not 2004, so that funds may
be acquired for this trip.
- Student Reports—
- Winter Formal was held at Quiet Cannon
went well, except that the DJ backed out at the last minute. The Dance Commissioner
had a friend replace the missing DJ.
b. Sadie Hawkins will
be held on March 19th. As students were using the themes as an
excuse not to attend, it was decided that there would be no theme this year. Instead,
they will use “Glow in the dark” decorations. Safety issues were raised,
but it was agreed that there would be enough light provided to ensure safety. Mr.
Cruz has ordered approximately 360 “glow in the dark” necklaces.
- DAC—nothing to report
- Special Ed.—
- College Night went well; approximately
90 people attended. Many colleges were represented. Claudia Garcia
did a good job organizing the event.
- Title 1—
- On Wednesday and Thursday, a team
from LACOE, along with Dr. and Mrs. Lindsey, were invited to ERHS to
evaluate the growth in academic achievement as a result of the CSRD grant. They
were invited to give us an objective view of what is going on. 7 members
met with teachers, students, counselors, and other staff. The experience
was very much like WASC, but without the stress. They revealed that
the strongest message they got from the students is that they feel that
the teachers care about them. They were also impressed with the hospitality
with which they were met—Terri Tschinkel even
made food for them.
- They gave us 5 commendations and
thing they commended us on was that we are working on benchmark tests which
will make sure that all students are receiving the same instruction, and
achieving at the same level in alignment to the standards.
need to implement SDAIE practices; for example, scaffolding
activities should be aligned toward student achievement
roles need to be aligned
need to concentrate on bridging instruction to help students better make the transition from 10th grade
LANGUAGE! to 11th grade CP
subgroups on our campus need to be analyzed for achievement
curriculum needs to be calibrated
next step as a school is to take action toward accomplishing these recommendations
- Academic Decathlon placed 4th in
the county; won in their division—this is the best they’ve ever done
* Girl’s Waterpolo made
league champion and went to CIF finals; unfortunately, Temple City won 9-6
end of the trimester is March 12th. This is a minimum day.
15th is a SIP day (no school for students). Most of the day will
revolve around curriculum sharing..
City, One Book will take place on March 11th. Mitch Albom,
author of the five people you meet in heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie will
be at the Pico Rivera Library at 3 pm, and at the Senior Center at
5 pm. It was suggested that all members of the council read five people…by
- Parent Project—
- The meeting discussed last month took place. It went well, and they
seemed impressed with the project. They also expressed an interest in
working with the schools.
- We would like to invite Ray Chavez back for the next meeting.
- Mrs. Swerdlow has informed Mr. Genis of
- Parents are asked to inform other parents about the Parents’ Symposium.
- Scholarship Fundraising—
- Flyer has been made by Frank Moreno.
- We need the parents’ help to get this trip sold.
- Members should request that community members donate supplies for the
- An advertisement is being placed on the Don Webpage.
- Aurora will bring doughnuts.
- Manuel Cruz asked that everyone get back to him as soon as possible
with the number of tickets he or she has sold.
- Suggested that if someone who bought a ticket can’t go, he or she donate
the ticket to be resold.
- Single Plan for Student Achievement—
- Watched the Content Standards video sent by the state
- Public Comment—
- Administrators are asked to remind coaches that students need to put
academic work before sports.
- Frank Moreno attended a budget meeting—many cuts are being made.
- The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 31st.
- Meeting adjourned at 6:40 p.m.